COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 1 ranked Ohio State women’s hockey team earned its first clean sheet of the year as the team defeated Bemidji State, 4-0, Saturday evening. The Buckeyes (5-0-0, 5-0-0 WCHA) had six players record points on the day as they took game one of the series from the Beavers (2-4-1, 0-3-0 WCHA).
How it Happened
Kenzie Hauswirth was the first to light the lamp in the contest, putting Ohio State on the board at 15:04 in the first period. After an initial shot from Emma Maltais was rebounded to the outside of the nearside faceoff circle, Sophie Jaques recovered the puck and played it behind the net to Hauswirth. Hauswirth then shot from the bottom of the faceoff circle, through a waiting Maltais and Beaver defenseman in the goal crease, and past Bemidji State’s goaltender Hannah Hogenson.
At the end of the first period, Ohio State was outshooting the Beavers 28-11 with 14 shots on goal. Buckeye netminder Raygan Kirk made six stops in the first frame.
Both the Beavers and the Buckeyes were scoreless in the second period as Ohio State held its 1-0 lead after 40 minutes of play. Kirk stopped three shots in the frame while the offense kept knocking at the door with 15 shots on goal, but nothing found the back of the net.
Ohio State was quick to add to its lead in the third period as Jaques scored unassisted just 24 seconds after the opening faceoff. She recovered the puck just inside the Bemidji State zone, lined up in the slot and buried her shot in the Beaver goal for her first goal of the game.
The Buckeyes continued their offensive pressure, adding two more goals in the first seven minutes of the period. Jaques tallied her second at 4:57. This time, she took the puck from behind the Ohio State goal and pushed the puck off the boards into Beaver territory to a rushing Jenn Gardiner. Gardiner then sent a backhanded pass right back to Jaques, who found herself in the same spot as minutes before – in the slot firing the puck past Hogenson.
Jenna Buglioni scored the Buckeyes’ fourth goal of the game at 6:17. Gardiner again sent a pass in front of the Bemidji State goal, this time finding Buglioni, who fired a back-handed shot into the Beaver goal.
At the end of the day, Kirk tallied 14 saves in the Buckeyes’ first shutout of the year.
- Sophie Jaques led the team with three points in the game on two goals and one assist. The Saturday win was her seventh multi-goal game of her career and second of the season after scoring twice in Ohio State’s 6-2 win over St. Cloud State last weekend.
- Raygan Kirk made her second start of the season in net for the Buckeyes. She posted the first shutout of the year for Ohio State and her first of her Buckeye career. She has now tallied seven shutouts in her collegiate career overall.
- The Buckeyes’ three-goal third period against Bemidji State marks the team’s third three-goal third period of the season.
- Ohio State’s program-record win streak is now stretched to 15 games.
- Jenna Buglioni tallied her first point of the season with the Buckeyes’ fourth and final goal of the day. She now has 60 points for her career with 27 goals and 33 assists.
- With 66 shots in the game, Ohio State is outshooting its opponents 200-80 this season while scoring 4.40 goals per game.
Shots: Ohio State 66, Bemidji State 44
Saves: Bemidji State (Hogenson) 34, Ohio State (Kirk) 14
Power Play: Ohio State 0-2, Bemidji State 0-3
Faceoffs: Ohio State 20, Bemidji State 20
Ohio State Scoring: Jaques (2-1-3), Maltais (0-2-2), Buglioni (1-0-1, Hauswirth (1-0-1), Gardiner (0-1-1), Rosenthal (0-1-1)
The Buckeyes and Beavers meet again tomorrow, Sunday, Oct. 16 at the Sanford Center. Puck drop is set for 3 p.m. ET and the game will be streamed on B1G+ (subscription required).