Cemetery decoration policy
Following is the Cedar Hill Cemetery decoration policy that has been in place for many years, but is currently being reviewed. The policy has not been enforced. For more information, call the office at 740-670-7775 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
April 1 to Oct. 31
- Only live flowers are permitted, not more than 8 inches from the front of the headstone and prohibited from the side or back of the stone.
- Planting of trees, bushes, shrubs or any spreading plant are prohibited.
- Artificial decorations, which are a safety hazard, include: plastic, silk or wired flowers; bricks, rocks, fences or borders; glass containers, alcohol or food; tobacco or lighters; porcelain, glass, metal, concrete or wooden objects; clothing, hats sunglasses.
- Cut flowers may be placed on graves three days before a holiday and removed seven days after the holiday or they will be removed by staff.
Nov. 1 to March 31
- Artificial decorations, typically wreaths and silk flowers, are permitted.
- Bricks, rock, fences and borders are prohibited all year.
- The cemetery staff reserves the right to remove anything deemed excessive or unsightly, without notification.
Source: Cedar Hill Cemetery
The cemetery employees are responsible to maintain the more than 100 acres, 37,000 head stones, five miles of roads and dig abut 150 graves annually for burials at the cemetery. They also maintain 19 city parks, 12 miles of bike path and 10 to 12 lots downtown.