Today’s top story about the power-hungry people who control the electricity in your home is a must read. Will they pay for what they’ve done? Should they?
Morning, Cleveland! First time reading? Click email me my news to sign up. And if you love this newsletter, scroll to the bottom and give us a thumbs up 👍🏾 please.
Weather: ☁️ ☁️ ☁️ Mainly cloudy and breezy. High: 50, Low: 39.
This Will Just Make You Angry
If power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, then how would you describe the people who control the power that lights up your homes and businesses every day and every night?
And how would you describe them if they took $456 million in “grid modernization” fees — which seems like an electrical system infrastructure necessity — and then didn’t spend your cash on much-needed modernization?
In fact, what if they didn’t account at all for how they spent your money?
The Ohio Consumers’ Counsel wants the absolute power holders at FirstEnergy to pay $1.5 billion in penalties for having done just that.
From Our Sponsor: Ring
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by Ring, a Patch Brand Partner. Getting some spring cleaning tasks done? Why not refresh your home’s security, too. Secure windows, doors, and more with up to $80 off on select Alarm Pro Kits. Don’t wait, offers end 5/1 at midnight Eastern time.
This Will Make You Angry And Sad
The 17-year-old arrested in Saturday night’s hit-and-run that killed a 5-year-old girl in Cleveland faces aggravated vehicular homicide charges. The teen driver didn’t have a driver’s license and fled after she hit the child, who ran out from between parked cars, then drove over her.
- Apolina Asumani’s wheelchair-bound grandmother watched helplessly as the girl was run down. Asumani died at the hospital.
- While the driver didn’t have a license, Cleveland Police say she did have a gun and threatened her passenger, who urged her to stop. The driver was wanted on several warrants.
Ice-stravaganza Coming To Cleveland This Summer
Cirque du Soleil is returning to Cleveland in July, bringing ice skaters and acrobats to Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. The show is called CRYSTAL.
“CRYSTAL is not just an ice show, it’s the very first experience on ice from Cirque du Soleil. Watch world-class ice skaters and acrobats claim their new frozen playground with speed and fluidity as they challenge the laws of gravity with never-before-seen acrobatics,” Cirque du Soleil said in a statement.
Tickets, costing upwards of $60, go on sale May 2.
😎 Interested in reaching smart readers like you? Apply here to advertise.
Picks To Click
- Family of man who died by suicide in county jail, despite warnings, to get $2.1 million settlement (cleveland.com)
- World’s largest diaper drive: Northeast Ohio diaper banks to help families in need (WKYC 3 News)
- Small tornado hits Lorain County; storms cause damage (Fox 8 News)
- LeBron James biopic now filming in Cleveland Heights (Fox 8 News)
- Dobama Theatre’s ‘Life Sucks’ packs a profound, sometimes gimmicky punch: Review (cleveland.com)
- Medina County deputies use tourniquet to save man after motorcycle crash (News 5 WEWS)
- Cleveland to reduce fare evasion penalties (Cleveland Scene)
- Cleveland Museum of Art to bring back Parade the Circle in 2023 (cleveland.com)
- USA Boxing weeklong qualifier kicked off Monday in Cleveland (cleveland.com)
- Trial under way for 81-year-old Cleveland man facing charges for trying to meet up with teenager for sex (19 News)
- Aly & AJ play House of Blues on Thursday (Cleveland Scene)
🏡 Are you a local real estate agent? Let us help you generate leads, build your brand in Cleveland and stand apart from the competition. Click here to learn more.
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Kamm’s Corners – SoLo: “Hi Westpark neighbors , I need your help , I’m looking for a 55 gallon burning drum I have no idea where to get one from . – Any ideas where I could find one . Thanks” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Parkwood Dr: “Hey Yo, Anyone want to Hang out this summer. – Bowing alley, bars, pool, strip club, biking and more.” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, Lyndhurst Near Cedar: “🪴 Plants, pottery and so much more! – 🪴 Mark your calendars with these summer dates! 🪴 South Euclid location 🪴 A great sale with a great variety of vendors!” (Nextdoor)
- Nextdoor Neighbor, St. Claire Superior: “His name is Zeus, I was looking to see if anyone wants or knows someone who would like to give him a new home? – I’ll be starting a new job and moving soon and I won’t be able to take care of him the way I would like he’s 10 months old.” (Nextdoor)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Goldfish Swim School Cleveland East Side Hiring Event (April 27)
- Taxes in Retirement Webinar – AM & PM! (May 2)
- Hire A Pro To Tackle Mom’s To-Do List (May 8)
- Add your event
Our Cleveland Daily mission: To quickly tell you what you need to know today about what’s happening in Greater Cleveland. In just five minutes a day, you’ll feel a little smarter and have something to talk about with friends and family.
Missed Monday? Here ya go: 🌱 River Rescue + Hit-And-Run Fatality + Cedar Point Resorts
Read More: ⚡ PowerHungry FirstEnergy + Helpless Grandma + Cirque du Soleil In CLE